Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Walk Through the Dark

I step out into the cool night air and glance around. The lot behind the restaurant next door is fairly empty. There are people across the street getting into their car. Other than that there aren't many people out. It is late and damp, and I feel unsure as I head home by myself. I walk under the El tracks and sidestep puddles. As I stroll past the empty ball diamond, I take a moment to appreciate the shrouded skyline. The city is draped in a silvery mist, with the lights glowing dimly through. The Hancock tower bears a soft pink halo, illuminating the night sky around it with a purple tint. I look again at the street that I am walking down, anxious to be on the brighter street ahead. I notice that two men are walking ahead of me and are looking back at me. It makes me slightly uneasy, but as I approach the intersection, I cross onto the better lit, busier street and stay on the opposite side of the men. I feel foolish, being afraid of every unknown pedestrian out at night, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.
As I pick up my pace, now within a block of school, I take comfort in the fact that there is a couple just a few yards ahead, walking onto the Moody parking lot. I also notice that the two men cross back to my side of the street and stop ahead, under some small trees on my left. I follow the couple onto the parking lot, but their car is right at the entrance. I have to cross the empty lot by myself. Yet not by myself, because the two men follow me. At this point, my anxiety is rising.
"What up, bitch?" one of them shouts. I walk faster. Sweeting is right in front of me, and inside there will be a public safety officer. I clutch my bag tighter to my side and hurry towards safety. They are still following, but not quickly. I step for the sidewalk and one foot sinks deep into a puddle. Mud covers my foot and sandal. I don't hesitate. Within moments I am walking past Sweeting. As I glance behind me, the men trail off back towards the street. I continue on through the walkway past Doane and on towards the plaza. A few times I glance back, just to be sure.
When I get to the plaza I slow down. I am safe. My pulse slows as I walk into my dorm, now caring about only my muddy foot.

No comments: