Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Rooftop Encounter of the Most Electric Kind

I sit in bed, savoring the last twelve minutes before work, with thoughts of the Papal Schism and the Gutenberg press in the back of my mind. I hear the sound of tires on wet pavement and the thunder rolling in the distance. Out of the corner of my eye, I see bright flashes on the horizon. My hair is wet and sticking to my face and rainwater drips from the wavy strands to my arm. I glance up at the sound of thunder crashing. I sigh deeply and contentedly. I just got back from standing on the roof with my friends, watching God in all of His glory sear the skies with His power and glory. Every strike of lightning lights up my eyes and stirs something within my soul. I relish the rain on my skin and the wind buffeting around me. My heart thrills as lightning lashes out against the Sears Tower and leaves me pleading with God for just one more display of His might. I tremble slightly in the cold and ponder the chances of lightning striking...me. This is God's wildness. This is what I love and enjoy about serving the God of the universe, that He thinks to bless me with His nature, on a night when I need it most, when I hunger for His creation and feel disconnected in the city. This His wildness that I so desire.

No comments: