Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Am Understood?

I couldn't express this better... so I'll let Relient K do it for me:
"Sometimes it's embarrassing to talk to you
To hold a conversation with the only one who sees right through
This version of myself
I try to hide behind
I'll bury my face because my disgrace will leave me terrified
And sometimes I'm so thankful for your loyalty
Your love regardless of
The mistakes I make will spoil me
My confidence is, in a sense, a gift you've given me
And I'm satisfied to realize you're all I'll ever need
You looked into my life and never stopped
And you're thinking all my thoughts
Are so simple, but so beautiful
And you recite my words right back to me
Before I even speak
You let me know, I am understood
And sometimes I spend my time
Just trying to escape
I work so hard so desperately, in an attempt to create space
Cause I want distance from the utmost important thing I know
I see your love, then turn my back and beg for you to go
You're the only one who understands completely
You're the only one knows me yet still loves completely
And sometimes the place I'm at is at a loss for words
If I think of something worthy I know that its already yours
And through the times I've faded and you've outlined me again
You've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then
The noise has broken my defense
Let me embrace salvation
Your voice has broken my defense
Let me embrace salvation"

Tonight I began packing up all my belongings for moving out of, and then back into, my dorm. I am a packrat, and have a lot of things to sort through. Among them are countless gifts from Andrew. I have a gigantic stuffed dog that he won me at King's Island, a scrapbook I made of our 2 and a half year relationship, picture after picture after picture. I have a nice digital camera, a diamond ring, a silver necklace... all wonderful gifts from a wonderful guy that I had to give up, I began thinking about what exactly I was forfeiting in giving up this relationship, and what I thought I needed in order to be 'happy' with someone. I feel safe in saying that there are few people who know me better than Andrew. Being known like that is special, and wonderful, and hard to explain. But I began thinking, why is it that I feel I want to give up on someone who knows me so well, which lead me to thinking, what is the difference in being known by a person, and then being understood... (I realize that my thought processes may be slightly hard to comprehend, but bear with me.)
According to Dictionary.com Know is:"to perceive or understand as fact or truth; to apprehend clearly and with certainty"
Understand is:"to perceive the meaning of; grasp the idea of; comprehend"
To me, the difference in knowledge and understanding is subtle, but significant. Andrew knows me. He knows about, more about me than most. He knows my passions. He knows my past. He knows my fears, my hopes, my dreams, my desires. But does he undesrtand them. Does he comprehend and perceive why?
I would argue that in some areas, Andrew does understand. In others, he doesn't. Yet, will anyone fully understand Sanyelle Lee Sandusky? Will I ever understand myself? I would argue that there is only One who will ever understand fully. He created me. He knows the details of my past better than myself. He understands my love for horses because He gave it to me. He understands my passion for children because He created me that way. He understands the way that I think because He wove me together in my mother's womb... He understands my pain, my fears, my desires better than anyone ever will. One of the reasons that I ended my relationship with Andrew was because we are both lacking in a lot of things that are necessary for making a relationship work. There are things that he needs to mature in and that I need to mature in. However, for me it was more than that. I have a great passion for things that he does not, and vise versa. I love thinking and talking about theology, about psychology, about philosophy. Andrew knows this about me, but he doesn't understand this about me. Andrew loves technology, computers, and cars. He is incredibly gifted in knowing and understanding those things. He thinks differently than I do. I know this about Andrew, but I don't understand it. These are things important to us, that we care a lot about. I wonder, is it selfish to want to be understood? Is it selfish to end a wonderful relationship on a basis such as this... Granted it is not the only reason... What it really boils down to is that I will never be understood fully by myself, let alone a man, even one that I love deeply. I want a husband who has similar passions as me, who thinks more like me, who I can understand better and who can understand me better. Yet he will never fully satisfy me. There is only one who understands me... If I seek fulfillment in this area outside of the Lord, I will always be disappointed. If I depend on being understood by other people, then i will be disappointed. I don't think its wrong to desire to be understood by others, but I know I will always be left lacking if I search for it in others before tasting it in God.

No comments: