Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Return of the Lion

The absence of a person that we love is often hard and at time seems unbearable. The worst feeling is when we ourselves voluntarily stray from the one that we love. Today, I learned a little about God. I say 'a little' because there is so much to know about God, so much that I will never know, and so therefore the taste that I had of Him today was very slight in comparison. I learned about his infiniteness... My God works outside of time and space. He created time. With His own hands He formed space. But, He doesn't have hands... He doesn't have eyes, no ears, not a mouth to speak by. He is Spirit. This God, is unimaginable. I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around the fact that He knows me personally. I wasn't just random baby He stuck in my mothers womb and than wound me up to watch me totter through life... I was His own daughter, chosen before the dawn of time. He cares about me. He knows me intimately. He has a plan for me. But thats not what blows my mind... I am among the nearly 7 BILLION other people that He feels the same way for! This great, almighty God cares deeply for, and has a unique plan for this planet full of people! How crazy is that to think about?? What a great God. And knowing how huge and powerful and amazing and indescribable He is, that He just IS, well it brings me to my knees. And this amazing Creator that cares so deeply for me... well I need to know Him more. I need Him. And so this epiphany, this realization and new taste of the hugeness of God, brings me to a new place with Him... and I believe C.S Lewis described it beautifully...
"She never stopped to think whether he was a friendly lion or not. She rushed to him. She felt her heart would burst if she lost a moment. And the next thing she knew was that she was kissing him and putting her arms as far round his neck as she could and burying her face in the beautiful rich silkiness of his mane.
'Aslan, Aslan. Dear Aslan,' sobbed Lucy. 'At last.'
The great beast rolled over on his side so that Lucy fell, half sitting and half lying between his front paws. He bent forward and just touched her nose with his tongue. His warm breath came all round her. She gazed up into his large wise face.
'Welcome, child,' he said."
I met God today... I was overwhelmed with Him, with His hugeness, His love, His wholly other-ness. As I run to Him begging for His grace and mercy, I wonder how He receives me... Is He like this Aslan, drawing myself into Him with the affection of a Father, or receiving me as a lost servant to a High King, with solemn, regal- yet sincere, joy? I feel like Lucy in the paws of her powerful Aslan... This analogy moved me on so many levels, and I appreciate Lewis' beautiful and comforting take on this collision with the Creator.

No comments: