Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Life of a Summer Moody Student: Day One "Take Three"

You will notice that in the title of this note, there is the phrase ‘take three’. This is due to the fact that as I was at the end of writing this note, my computer deleted it. Naturally, since I will not be defeated by this man-made malfunctioning piece of ----, I took it upon myself to rewrite from memory all of the witty things I had said in my first attempt. In the midst of rewriting the second note, the computer did it again. Alas, here I am recounting my events for the third time, resisting the urge to break the window and this computer in one quick and therapeutic move. *Ahem.

I sit on the one square foot of my bed that isn’t covered by all my partially unpacked luggage. I barely have room for my feet between my bed and dresser. This implies that I am unable to actually use my dresser because of its ridiculously close proximity to the bed. This is the way that the room was set up for me… and I haven’t had the time to rearrange the furniture in this small dorm room. When I look out my window, I see Moody. Ah yes, nothing like seeing the clock tower I walk past on my way to class. Nothing like seeing the other wing of the dorm I live in. Who wouldn’t want to stare out at the plaza with the four trees that Moody has on its campus? I wouldn’t trade this view for anything. Not for the Sears Tower, or the Hancock Tower. Give me these plain brick buildings any day. I sit here in my bed exhausted after spending a day hiking around the city looking for my bank. Why must I look for my bank, you ask? Well dear reader, let me explain. I apparently bank with the most obscure bank in all of Chicago. Bank of America? Too stable. I need a bank that closes and disappears over night. Chase Bank? Too frequent. I need a bank that doesn’t occupy every street corner, and isn’t within four miles of where I live. You see, I just love to be inconvenienced in every aspect. That’s why I bank with Charter One.Why must I walk four miles to get to my bank, you ask. Well, due to the aforementioned qualities of my bank and my lack of a Upass or money, I must walk. First I must walk to where my bank was. Then I must call Ruth so she can look up where my bank is. It just so happens to be on the other side of Gold Coast. So, without a Upass or money for a transit card, I get to enjoy a long walk. My feet will thank me when they stop aching and are a little stronger. My stomach grumbles in aggravation. It demands more calories for this kind of lifestyle. It reminds me, politely, “Sanyelle, Tuna lunch kits and Goldfish crackers are not a substantial diet.” I reply, “Its okay, stomach. In eleven more weeks you can have Moody food again!” It turns, and not with excitement. So, here I am with a laptop in my lap that heats to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I am currently burning a hole in my jeans, but I hear its fashionable these days…. The rest of my clothes are waiting for me in the dryer, and I have library books that will be overdue in a few hours. Don’t worry, dear reader. There will be more to come.

No comments: